Friday, August 17, 2012

IIAS - Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla, HP


Nostalgia, fond memories and peace is what this place brings to me everytime I visit it. I have been going there since i was a young girl, now I go there with my girls. No photo album is complete without pictures of it. Its like a timeless legacy which I will pass on to my children. I remember a few years ago there was a lot of controversy, followed by agitation when it was being proposed to convert it into a hotel. For more than a decade now a small dhaba cum cafe is run by a private party in the basement of the building. A few years back the old fire station was converted very tastefully into a small cafe cum reading room cum ticket sales outlet. I remember I had google the lady architect who had renovated the station.A commendale job indeed. The place was always short on food options. In a way that was good, as it controlled the litter. Spring and early monsoon are very good seasons to visit. The flowers are in full bloom and greenery everywhere. I went  again this Sunday, only to be appalled to see the state of things. Firstly in prime tourist season the cafe closed at 6pm. So you shouldn't even expect a drink of water anywhere after it closes. The other dhaba had only Maggi to offer.There was garbage on the lawns. But, what compelled me to write today, was the utterly disgusting state of public conveniences. They were made state of the art, with the modern day fixtures and conveniences. But, it seemed that they had not been cleaned for ages. I am not a public wash room person, for this same reason, that whenever i have given one a try. I have been left with horrid memories that do not go away. In a place where literary scholars and geniuses are banging their heads for the betterment of mankind, this is a SHAME. Maybe it should have been handed over to a hospitality partner.......







No comments:

Post a Comment